Ariannah's Knitting Journey

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

A Pair of Latvian Socks


I finished these socks a few days ago. They were a pleasure to knit, even on 2 mm bamboo twigs. (I used clover bamboo double-pointed needles). I know for sure I will be knitting these again, perhaps in another color. I think solid colors are definitely the way to go on these, as I think stripey, or self-patterning types of yarn would hide the lovely stitch definition of these socks. The V-shaped eyelet pattern was a good way for me to practise remembering the yarn overs where they needed to be. I'm wanting to venture into knitting something pretty and lacy with my Misti Alpaca, which I showed earlier. Oh, by the way, for any Folk Socks enthusiasts, there is a Yahoo group called "Folk Sock Knitalong". I am a part of this group, but I've not yet participated in the knit-alongs in real time.

An edit: responding to those who wish to know the yarn I used. I used regular fingering-weight sock yarn. It was Scheepjes Invicta extra. Here in Nova Scotia, Lewiscraft was going bye-bye to make room for craft giant Michaels, and I was all too happy to help Lewiscraft liquidate their stock (smile).

The yarn's weight is 50g=210m, and it is 75% virgin wool and 25% something else (I forget, nylon perhaps?).

5 Comments:

  • They are beautiful. Tell me, did you work two strands together, or is this all with single strand laceweight? I'm in love with these socks. If it weren't morally wrong I might sneak into your gym locker and steal these socks. You have a lot of talent.

    By Blogger Ivy, at April 04, 2006 12:16 PM  

  • Beautiful socks!! What yarn did you use?

    By Blogger Sue, at April 04, 2006 4:36 PM  

  • The socks are wonderful! The solid color for patterns always looks best. what type of yarn did you use? Great blog too!

    By Blogger Susan, at April 04, 2006 10:37 PM  

  • Beautiful job, they are just gorgeous! Can't wait to see your next pair! ;)

    By Blogger Katie, at April 06, 2006 12:27 AM  

  • Beautiful Socks! I love the lace...being a lace shawl knitter who has come to socks late!
    Thank you for visiting my blog...
    (((hugs)))

    By Blogger KnitNana, at April 07, 2006 3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home