Ariannah's Knitting Journey

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Smiley Happy People

Update: People have been asking where these puppets can be dropped off. Aside from the locations at the IWK which Dorothy was kind enough to answer in the comments, you can also drop off your finger puppets at The Loop, on Barrington Street in Halifax (click on the link on the side), and IWK staff will also pick them up there.

Calling all HRM knitters, crocheters, and those talented to make something similar to what you see on the right. IWK has a shortage of finger puppets, and they called the fine staff of The Loop to ask some of their customers to make finger puppets for them. They give these to outpatients of their clinics and I think this is a very worthy cause.

The two multicolored crocheted puppets you see on the right were made by my 8 year old daughter, the yellow and blue/green puppets were knit by me, and the bottom 3 were crocheted by me.

All you have to do is knit or crochet a tube just a bit bigger than your own finger, and decorate accordingly. I don't have a pattern, as we just made these up ourselves.

11 Comments:

  • Those are absolutely adorable!! Each one has its own character, and they should all be loved very much.

    By Blogger Nicole, at August 26, 2006 4:48 PM  

  • I would like to try and knit some... I like to knit...

    I have been known to stand in line- ups and knit right out of my knitting bag... :)

    I knit mostly hats and scarves...I have knit a couple of sweaters but the necks always look horrible...

    let me know where to bring them I will try and knit 20...

    Debra-Dawn

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 26, 2006 7:12 PM  

  • Believe it or not, my son and I took them 2500 puppets in June!!

    They go through them very quickly!

    Ours are quite simple ones, similar to the ones on the upper right in your picture.

    By Blogger Dorothy, at August 26, 2006 8:25 PM  

  • Forgot to tell you, our pattern is to cast on 12, do one row of K1,P1, then knit a row, purl a row after that until a good length. Then K2tog across, purl across, cut yarn (leave a long tail) and K2tog across pulling the end through as you go.
    My MIL knits hers on 4 needles - and makes little pompoms to go on their heads!

    By Blogger Dorothy, at August 26, 2006 8:31 PM  

  • Adorable! What a nice idea!

    By Blogger Alison, at September 01, 2006 3:43 PM  

  • How cute are these! Your daughter is very talented too :-) Now I know what to do with my tiddly bits of leftover yarn.

    By Blogger Sandra, at September 05, 2006 2:43 AM  

  • The ones your daughter made are really cute!

    I bet your site traffic is totally going to spike. :)

    By Blogger Lynne, at September 08, 2006 12:01 PM  

  • I'm definitly going to make some of these. Where in the IWK do you take them to when you're done?

    By Anonymous Jen, at September 14, 2006 9:33 AM  

  • Did you see the fancy ones that the Loop has pictured on their site? Think I'll stick with simple, wouldn't want a kid to feel like they got hard done by cause their puppet doesn't have arms, or look like a fish! Yours, by the way, are very cute. And they're smiling--the last one we picked up at the hospital with The Boy had a sad face!

    By Blogger Alison, at September 18, 2006 8:00 PM  

  • Jen, not my blog, but I can answer your question :)
    You can take them to the volunteer office at the IWK; which is located on the left just past the cafeteria.
    Or you can leave them at the info desk when you first go into the IWK.
    Put your name and address in with them, and you'll probably get a thank you letter.

    By Blogger Dorothy, at September 23, 2006 4:15 PM  

  • Hi, I'm Linda from Dartmouth and have started a blog devoted to the IWK puppets for kids project. I have put a link to your Aug 2007 post aboutt he puppets you knit and crocheted. Can I use your photo too? Thanks.
    Linda
    puppetsforkids.blogspot.com

    By Blogger Linda Lefler, at March 03, 2007 10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home